Noumenal Blade

A phenomenal ship

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

Hi, there! Captain Shar welcomes you aboard the Noumenal Blade. She's the fastest ship in all of Herohaven.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Jack of all trades

So anyway, my mom and I were talking the other day, about career stuff and talents and all that. And I sort of realized that I'm pretty good at lots of things, but lack that extra bit of talent and commitment to really come to the top and make it a career. For example, I can draw decently, but would never make it as an artist. I hope I can act, but I'd probably only get cast as a very few, very specific parts - not enough to live on. I really like writing, and I've actually received compliments on it, but I wouldn't want that to be the only thing I do. I like to sew, and I've actually designed and made some of my own projects, but I'd never be a fashion designer. I played the piano for six years, and taught lessons for two, but I could never make it as a concert pianist. etc, etc, etc. I even took one of those little magazine surveys (because those are so important - actually, this one was in Brio from Focus on the Family and probably better than most) about "finding your art form," which had singing, music, acting, writing, and creative categories, and I came out strong in all five. So, two things: I shouldn't be surprised that I've tried a million different things and keep switching majors. Also, being a director would actually be really good for me, because I could understand enough of what everyone else was doing to be able to communicate with them. Sometimes I feel like I'd like to say something through a song or a picture or a poem, but I don't have the skill to do it. However, if I can communicate that vision to the people working with me, maybe it will actually come out.

My other problem is that what I'm trying to communicate is so elusive; I'm trying to give a glimpse of the Other. I actually really like the title of Liz's FYS: "Glimpses of the Holy." Not holy as in stereotypical church, or Monty-Python style God, but glimpses of something outside this world. (No wonder I like fantasy and space stories so much.) That's really hard to do! However, I shouldn't be surprised. I should be glad that at least I do have something that I'm trying to communicate. It may come in glimpses and snatches, but at least it comes. Hopefully I'll be able to get that across.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Yeah, I'm kinda the same "jack-of-all-trades" type of guy. Of course, my "all-trades" may not be as diverse as yours, but the point holds true.

"Jack of all trades, master of none;
many things started, none of them done."

5:08 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

"Many things started, none of them done."
heck, yes
and i dunno if jack-of-all-trades is really me, but at least the whole lacking-of-careerness is something i feel sometimes.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Captain Shar said...

Thanks, guys. And I have every confidence in your ability to land something, so I guess there's hope for me.

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home