Making a skirt out of ties
My sister and I are making a skirt out of my dad's old ties. We cut them in half, so that we have big ends and little ends. Then we took the seams out of the backs of them, so that we have twice the fabric. We pieced them together yesterday, and are starting to sew them today. Silk is so slippery. It's going to look really cool, with big and little points interchanging at the hem.
I'm thinking about majors...again. I know I want to do something with story, but what exactly? Do I want to write? Do I want to do theatre? Do I want to try film? Is there something else? My problem is that I like all of them, but I know I don't have the energy to do all three. Ah, well, it is the bane of all just-done-with-freshman-year-of-college persons to have some sort of identity crisis. If any one of you has some inspiration for me, please make it known. I know I have all three majors covered (though I don't know if Mat(t) reads my blog.). Film seems like the most accessible to the general population, and it has a really "perfect" product, since you get to carefully control what's on screen. Writing I do by myself, and theatre and film are collaberative art forms. I don't know whether I work better with others or alone. Theatre lets you sing and dance more. I'm really enjoying our writer's club, but it already has film majors, so that won't change. I tend to see my stories in pictures first, before I write. And, the subjects are so interchangeable that it almost doesn't matter which one I study! Anyway, I've been praying, and hope to have it figured out soon. If you think of me, I'd appreciate your prayers too.
I'm thinking about majors...again. I know I want to do something with story, but what exactly? Do I want to write? Do I want to do theatre? Do I want to try film? Is there something else? My problem is that I like all of them, but I know I don't have the energy to do all three. Ah, well, it is the bane of all just-done-with-freshman-year-of-college persons to have some sort of identity crisis. If any one of you has some inspiration for me, please make it known. I know I have all three majors covered (though I don't know if Mat(t) reads my blog.). Film seems like the most accessible to the general population, and it has a really "perfect" product, since you get to carefully control what's on screen. Writing I do by myself, and theatre and film are collaberative art forms. I don't know whether I work better with others or alone. Theatre lets you sing and dance more. I'm really enjoying our writer's club, but it already has film majors, so that won't change. I tend to see my stories in pictures first, before I write. And, the subjects are so interchangeable that it almost doesn't matter which one I study! Anyway, I've been praying, and hope to have it figured out soon. If you think of me, I'd appreciate your prayers too.


3 Comments:
The skirt sounds very cool. No deep insight here on the majors issue. Mmm...you say their stories are basically interchangeable. Are they? Maybe if you consider their differences more thoroughly, it could give you a clue as to which one you like better. I dunno. They are very different mediums. I guess I'm calling for the sort of analysis I've never actually done, but if you're stuck it might help. Also, if you narrow down what kinds of writing, film, and theater you're interested in, that'd probably make them easier to compare. Or if you can figure out any more specifically and concretely what interests you about "story."
So that was long-winded. But good luck.
Wow. I was going to actually give some decent advice, but Liz beat me to the punch. Bravo.
In other news, I once made a tie out of an older tie. People claim I didn't actually do anything, since the tie looks exactly the same as the one I made it out of, but what do they know?
Nothing that they can prove, I'll tell you that much.
Post a Comment
<< Home