Noumenal Blade

A phenomenal ship

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

Hi, there! Captain Shar welcomes you aboard the Noumenal Blade. She's the fastest ship in all of Herohaven.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Nancy Pearcey lectures ... and yes, this is another philosophy post. Sorry, it makes me happy.

The first talk was on the historical innacuracy of the warfare hypothesis of the relationship of science and religion.

Then, we had supper in the PDR. It was like the Honors interview day food. We had creme broule (sp?) for dessert, which I had never had before but was very good. More important than the food, I got to sit right next to Nancy Pearcey and talk to her about home schooling, and my Galileo class last semester, and the influence of philosophical worldview on the arts.

The second lecture was even more interesting to me. It basically talked about the split between faith and reason in the modern and postmodern world. This piece finally clicked for me - we aren't looking to say that religous truth and scientific truth are exactly the same. However, we are trying to say that there is religious truth - that there is a right and a wrong when it comes to religion and morals. Science is not the only category that can be discussed in terms of right and wrong.

It was really cool to have everyone there for the second lecture - I had so much fun sitting with a half-dozen or so of my friends at once!

P.S. I have now officially become an English major. Or at least soon as the little green card filters through the system. Hmm. Maybe I should check that now. Excuse me ...

3 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Welcome to the dark side. Please enjoy your stay.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Captain Shar said...

If I ever see anyone in a brown or black cloak, carrying a shiny sort of weapon, and wearing an expression of intense meditation, I'll let you know. OK?

3:43 PM  
Blogger Captain Shar said...

Oh - and I'm still a theatre minor, Jess!

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home