Noumenal Blade

A phenomenal ship

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

Hi, there! Captain Shar welcomes you aboard the Noumenal Blade. She's the fastest ship in all of Herohaven.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

"Space-Blinkered Historicism!"

The above is a phrase from the most unsavory of my textbooks, epithet-ified. Don't you just love those textbooks in which three pages can be summarized in one sentence?

Along the same lines, you'd think the Dean's List announcement could avoid stating that "It is good to have your back on campus." I'm not sure how to respond to that. I'm not even on campus.

Anyway, for more fun and excitement, try imagining two of your best friends suddenly dating. Or get (an attempt at being) picked up in the Dining Hall. The Dining Hall! These Temple boys have no shame.

My Writing professor loves Melodramas.

8 Comments:

Blogger brenderlin said...

You know what's kind of scary? after watching/reading/discussing Far From Heaven, I've decided that I like melodramas too. Yeah, I know it's kind of odd, but I realized what made me connect to all of the books/tv/movies I've read/seen wasn't special effects or spaceships or anything. It's characters and the stuff that happens to them.

Don't worry though, I'll always love Sci-Fi. I'll just make a melodrama in space.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Captain Shar said...

Space makes most any melodrama better. :) And don't worry. I don't hate them if they're well done and not too weepy.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Captain Shar said...

And other genres DO have characters, y'know. I just like characters who ponder existence and make definite decisions more than those who are forced into societal pigeonholes and spend their time worrying about their lousy relatives and co-workers.

10:04 PM  
Blogger brenderlin said...

You know, there's a lot people who don't constantly ponder their existence, and don't always make perfectly thought out decisions. And I think exploring normal down-to-earth people like that (and maybe even caught in a repressive society) can be immersive and interesting. I dunno, I just feel like you write off melodrama too easily.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Well, I wouldn't say that making definite decisions excludes the possibility of the character to act spur-of-the-moment. No one can perfectly think out every problem*. However, when they have the time and inclination, I like characters to think things through before inevitably getting caught up with events wherein they can barely think at all**.

But I'm not too keen on a character pondering existance any more than the character really needs to***.


*They could try, but I don't think they would last very long or be incredibly interesting.

**Which is what most Humans do most of the time anyway.

***Unless it's an Ayn Rand book. Then, well, go nuts.

1:58 AM  
Blogger Mackenzie said...

Speaking of epithet-ified... My housemates and I decided "hyphen" makes a good curse word. As in "Get your butt off the hyphen chair and get over here." Although I have to say, "Space-Blinkered" is pretty darn amazing.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Captain Shar said...

But what do people do in the not-an-action-sequence parts of life when they have time to think, if not ponder existence?

11:00 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Pray that their life isn't leading into another action sequence?

2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home