Noumenal Blade

A phenomenal ship

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

Hi, there! Captain Shar welcomes you aboard the Noumenal Blade. She's the fastest ship in all of Herohaven.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Super!

We went to Superman Returns yesterday. Yay!

I've often wondered whether there are any really good hero-type stories that have heroines. I'm not talking about cat woman, or an updated feminized fairy tale. I'm not talking about Jane Eyre (sorry you-know-who). I'm not even talking about Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice. Are there any superheroines? I mean, even Eowyn of Rohan (my favorite female character) gets passed up for the pretty elf girl and decides that she will be a shieldmaiden no more. And what would a superheroine do for a love interest? I sympathize with the regular heroes or superheroes, but I detest most of their girlfriends/wives/lady loves/maidens/whatever. Example: the Princess Bride. Westley is beautiful and strong and smart and quick. Buttercup is beautiful. That's it. I don't exactly detest her, but I wonder what Westley really sees in her. I think it would be kind of dumb for a superheroine to have a gorgeous boyfriend she always had to rescue, and who was always swooning in her arms. But would a superhero ever want a superheroine as a love interest, or do talented guys really prefer someone who is vastly inferior to them in most respects? Or, maybe inferior is the wrong word; but do guys prefer girls who don't really intersect with their quests to save the world?

We set off some really wierd fireworks on Monday. They weren't really fireworks: they were these little compact gray disks. When you set them on fire, they sent off curls of gray ash. It looked like little snakes were coming out of the road. That's probably why they're called "snakes." We also had the traditional sparkly ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home