Resistance is Useless
Liz found all these great sites for "Famous People answer 'Why did the chicken cross the road?'" which made Lucy and I laugh a lot last night, and then Mackenzie because we told half of them to her on a walk.
I am currently reading Dune (Frank Herbert) and The Prince (Niccolo Machiavelli). Amazing combination - you should try it.
Reading said two books inspired the what I now suppose to be inevitable moral/life/philosophical question for the semester: Believing that God does exist, how are humans to live with one another in a way which allows them to create and to love? How does one resolve the demands of the self and the demands of the other? What is love? What is good self-preservation; is there good self-preservation? What is truly loving others by teaching them to look after themselves? What is the correct attitude towards politics on both national and interpersonal levels? Is it best to grab as much for yourself as possible, and may the best man or woman win? Is it best to live on as little as possible and give as much as possible to others? What if the thing which God wants you to contribute ultimately to others requires you to take an unfair amount of resources now? How long is long enough? Is it valid to keep your $100 now so that you can invest it in yourself so you can earn enough to contribute $1000 dollars later? How do you measure the contributions of ideas and art to the world? Is the goal of a person any different from the goal of a nation?
So, anyway, I'm sure my roommates are thrilled that I've found my big question for the semester. I'm sorry to anyone who missed last semester's; if you came to Pro Tempore for the Deity debates you already know pretty much what it was about, except that I was trying to figure out reality as opposed to the best context for a story.
I am currently reading Dune (Frank Herbert) and The Prince (Niccolo Machiavelli). Amazing combination - you should try it.
Reading said two books inspired the what I now suppose to be inevitable moral/life/philosophical question for the semester: Believing that God does exist, how are humans to live with one another in a way which allows them to create and to love? How does one resolve the demands of the self and the demands of the other? What is love? What is good self-preservation; is there good self-preservation? What is truly loving others by teaching them to look after themselves? What is the correct attitude towards politics on both national and interpersonal levels? Is it best to grab as much for yourself as possible, and may the best man or woman win? Is it best to live on as little as possible and give as much as possible to others? What if the thing which God wants you to contribute ultimately to others requires you to take an unfair amount of resources now? How long is long enough? Is it valid to keep your $100 now so that you can invest it in yourself so you can earn enough to contribute $1000 dollars later? How do you measure the contributions of ideas and art to the world? Is the goal of a person any different from the goal of a nation?
So, anyway, I'm sure my roommates are thrilled that I've found my big question for the semester. I'm sorry to anyone who missed last semester's; if you came to Pro Tempore for the Deity debates you already know pretty much what it was about, except that I was trying to figure out reality as opposed to the best context for a story.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home