Noumenal Blade

A phenomenal ship

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

Hi, there! Captain Shar welcomes you aboard the Noumenal Blade. She's the fastest ship in all of Herohaven.

Monday, February 07, 2005

Logic

Point #1: Human deductive logic exists.

The most basic part of human deductive logic is that A is A and not non-A.

If you don't believe me, try the opposite on for size: if human deductive logic does not exist (A is both A and non-A, or it is neither), then it both does and does not exist.

Which is impossible.

So, human deductive logic most definitely exists.

Point #2: Belief in the existence of human inductive logic is very reasonable.

This is where you might say that the "leap of faith" comes in. However, it takes just as much if not more faith to say that human inductive logic does not exist. So, whether you believe in inductive logic, or the lack thereof, you still have to believe whatever you decide. Or, you could decide not to decide, but that seems rather foolish, since you would have to suspend everything important you do until you decided.

I choose to believe in human inductive logic, a very reasonable position. This is that which allows us to predict that a stone will fall every time someone drops it on earth, since we have never observed otherwise. This is that which allows us to assume we have within ourselves something beyond pure machinery, since we always observe ourselves caring for something, or looking for fulfillment. Humans have souls.

Point #3: Inductive human logic leads me to conclude that God exists.

Either we must accept the existence of deductive human logic, all of the apparent laws of the earth gleaned from inductive logic, and all sense we have of soul within ourselves, as "brute fact" or chance occurences, or we must believe that God made all three. This latter conclusion provides the best explanation of all the facts. Besides, by Pascal's gamble, it is the safest position. If I believe in God, and He does not exist, at least I will have lived my life with an answer. If I don't believe in God, and He does exist, I'm in big trouble.

Point #4: The Bible and Christianity make everything fit together wonderfully.

So, since they make everything fit, they are the best option. They fit together deductive and inductive logic, and man's body and soul, as all coming from God. The Christian now has a unified explanation for everything, and can live with reality and hope, for they are both from God.

Point #5: Follow Christianity.

Here's the really tough bit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Just playing opposition here. Devil's Advocate Paraphrase of Point 2, Paragraph 2.

I choose to believe in simian inductive logic, a very reasonable position. This is that which allows monkeys to predict that fruit will fall every time a monkey drops it on earth, since they have never observed otherwise. This is that which allows monkeys to assume that they are something beyond pure machinery, since they always observe themselves caring for something (such as the pursuit of food), or looking for fulfillment (food, companionship or fun). Ergo, monkeys have souls.

Excellent logic, overall.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Captain Shar said...

To Andrew:

We do not know the inner feelings of monkeys, just as they do not know ours. Therefore, we cannot assume that they have souls, only the monkeys themselves could do that. In fact, I can only assume that I have a soul, because I don't know the inside workings of anyone else. Of course, working out from my logic to accepting Scripture, and also inductive reasoning on the similarities of humans, causes me to say that all humans have souls.

Another interesting point: I don't think I was just using "soul" in the most particular sense - I would actually argue that all animals have souls, but humans have unique souls, and only humans have spirits.

To Jess:

Yay for wild gooses!

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home