Time to land again
Well, after my smashing appearances in Screenwriting and Directing a live scene, I guess it was time for failure.
I am definitely not the worst director in the class, but also definitely not good. Or even quite competent at everything, yet. Apparently I did not get the actors to let enough of the subtext come through...at all. I made one intelligent pan, but didn't do it decisively enough. I framed the actors too low for most of the Moving Camera project, and I used jumpy cuts in my Analytical Montage version. And the sound had a lot of hiss in it.
For the final project maybe I should just do a scene about tension in a college couple's relationship - that's what most people are doing, and they seem to be able to handle it. Maybe I shouldn't expect to be able to direct something neither me nor my actors have much experience with. So, on to something I know...wait. I haven't even dated anyone...ahhh! The last prop of the Director is denied me!
I'm sure I'll get over it. It's just that every time I do a mediocre project, I hope that the next time I'll do better. And every time I do the next time and don't break through, I hope a little less.
Also, this is only my second narrative film project for a class! Maybe I shouldn't even be in Directing; I feel like I'm still learning such basic stuff, and this is a high-level class. Then again, when I see what the other under-grads are making, I don't feel so bad...
And it took me a while to feel like I found my feet in writing. This is really the first semester where I feel like my writing is really working. There are just so few opportunities to practice film, though.
I am definitely not the worst director in the class, but also definitely not good. Or even quite competent at everything, yet. Apparently I did not get the actors to let enough of the subtext come through...at all. I made one intelligent pan, but didn't do it decisively enough. I framed the actors too low for most of the Moving Camera project, and I used jumpy cuts in my Analytical Montage version. And the sound had a lot of hiss in it.
For the final project maybe I should just do a scene about tension in a college couple's relationship - that's what most people are doing, and they seem to be able to handle it. Maybe I shouldn't expect to be able to direct something neither me nor my actors have much experience with. So, on to something I know...wait. I haven't even dated anyone...ahhh! The last prop of the Director is denied me!
I'm sure I'll get over it. It's just that every time I do a mediocre project, I hope that the next time I'll do better. And every time I do the next time and don't break through, I hope a little less.
Also, this is only my second narrative film project for a class! Maybe I shouldn't even be in Directing; I feel like I'm still learning such basic stuff, and this is a high-level class. Then again, when I see what the other under-grads are making, I don't feel so bad...
And it took me a while to feel like I found my feet in writing. This is really the first semester where I feel like my writing is really working. There are just so few opportunities to practice film, though.


2 Comments:
I'd say wanting to write/direct what you know is a good idea. Not to say that you have to have been in the exact situation of your characters 100% of the time, but there should be an emotional resonance and honesty to what they're feeling.
I mean, Spielberg was never in the holocaust, but making Schindler's List was a very personal project for him. True, he is a jew, but there was much emotional resonance in what he was making.
Hmm, yeah. I'll try to think of a situation that's pretty close to my life that is actually relationally interesting. Let's see...I'm sure the class will be thrilled to view a couple of geeks pretending to be heroic characters.
I'll think of something.
Post a Comment
<< Home