Noumenal Blade

A phenomenal ship

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

Hi, there! Captain Shar welcomes you aboard the Noumenal Blade. She's the fastest ship in all of Herohaven.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Disturbing

We were discussing the ethics of lying in Senior Seminar this week. I was greatly disturbed to find that the class listed as "desirable" reasons for lying: to maintain relationships, to avoid conflicts, to escape negative consequences, to protect a "child's world" (i.e. Santa), to protect your own image. Perhaps some of these are socially "acceptable" - but desirable? If this is the view of my Christian contemporaries, how can I trust anyone? The only time I see lying as desirable is if it is practiced within a defined set of rules, such as games like "Peanut Butter" or gifts such as surprise parties. Lying may also be "necessary" to preserve a greater good than honesty (depending on the circumstances), such as someone's life. But it's desirable to lie to protect one's own image?

I could perhaps understand if the question was interpreted to mean "desirable when I consider only my own feelings." I asked the class whether this is the view they were taking. Everyone remained silent.

What is happening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home