It's pretty distracting to be painting when a horse is standing next to you.
So, due to lack of rain, landscaping is really slowing down. It's slowing down so much, in fact, that I'm planning to start working part-time at McDonalds as well.
Anyway, I got put on barn-painting this week. This barn stables two inquisitive horses, one of which is also a bit ill-tempered. Sometimes the horses left me alone while I painted. Other times, they insisted on standing about half an inch away from me while I rolled and brushed for all I was worth. It's a little disconcerting to feel horse-breath on your leg while you're standing on a ladder and painting.
It is also frustrating because the irritable one kept sticking his nose in the fresh paint and making himself white, especially because I was supposed to prevent them from doing that but I hadn't the slightest idea how. I mean, when it doesn't go "back" when you say so strongly, what else are you supposed to do to 2,000 pounds of horsey inquisitiveness?
So, due to lack of rain, landscaping is really slowing down. It's slowing down so much, in fact, that I'm planning to start working part-time at McDonalds as well.
Anyway, I got put on barn-painting this week. This barn stables two inquisitive horses, one of which is also a bit ill-tempered. Sometimes the horses left me alone while I painted. Other times, they insisted on standing about half an inch away from me while I rolled and brushed for all I was worth. It's a little disconcerting to feel horse-breath on your leg while you're standing on a ladder and painting.
It is also frustrating because the irritable one kept sticking his nose in the fresh paint and making himself white, especially because I was supposed to prevent them from doing that but I hadn't the slightest idea how. I mean, when it doesn't go "back" when you say so strongly, what else are you supposed to do to 2,000 pounds of horsey inquisitiveness?


1 Comments:
You push it. Seriously, in my dim past I used to work with horses (that is, I took lessons, and that means working with horses on both ends.) If it's wearing a halter, grab one of the rings, say calmly and gently, "Come," and then firmly lead it, preferably with your free hand on its neck to reassure it and help guide it. If it's not wearing a halter, try slapping it fairly hard on the flank with appropriate command, "Go on, go" usually works but don't overuse speech or they stop paying attention because they figure it's just random sound (learned THAT one the hard way.)
Also worth noting is the tactic of making friends. Maybe scratch it between the ears or down its mane before trying to get it to leave you alone. It should like that. If you know its name, that can be useful reinforcement for command-giving as well.
...And while I'm sure it's distracting... I LIKE horsey breath. Say hi to the 2000 pounds of horsey inquisitiveness from me.
Post a Comment
<< Home