Such a wierd feeling...
When you read about something in a twenty-year-old article in a scholarly journal for a serious final project for your first year seminar and it talks about this place called the Institute for Creation Research (the topic for the paper is "the teaching of evolution in public schools"), most of you probably wouldn't think this particularly odd or interesting. This, however, is because most of you did not grow up as a home-schooled evangelical in San Diego.
I was there. I went to visit ICR's actual building and saw their museum. I grew up reading books that they published - like "D is for Dinosaur" or "The Ice Age." I've heard most of the arguments that these articles I'm reading say that the creationists advanced for their cause. It's just weird to find that you've grown up directly influenced by something scientists debate over in scholarly journals. Exciting, though, if you think about it. Wouldn't you rather be on the cutting edge of something than have history pass you by?
I was there. I went to visit ICR's actual building and saw their museum. I grew up reading books that they published - like "D is for Dinosaur" or "The Ice Age." I've heard most of the arguments that these articles I'm reading say that the creationists advanced for their cause. It's just weird to find that you've grown up directly influenced by something scientists debate over in scholarly journals. Exciting, though, if you think about it. Wouldn't you rather be on the cutting edge of something than have history pass you by?


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home