Acting class yesterday
I had a lot of fun in Basic Acting yesterday. We were supposed to improvise, using a technical approach (which is extremely difficult - instead of letting your sense of a character guide your actions, you're supposed to analyze the situation, pick an appropriate emotion, and match a physicalization to that!). The improv. scenarios were great, though. First, we were on a ship coming to America. I attached myself to a group from Spain, pretending to be their niece. I got to practice my Spanish, and managed to remember quite a bit of useless French in the process. I was "excited," so I tried to jump around, and constantly look out over the gunwhales. This did not please my aunt at all, who was quite concerned. Anyway, eventually a storm started, and I got really "scared," and huddled with my group. Then, we started to run out of food, so I was "hungry," and complained at first, and tried to distract myself with looking around, but as it wore on, I just tried to sleep and forget the pain in my stomach.
Next, I was a waitress in my restaurant, trying to "be professional" and carrying myself with perfect posture. I was going to the kitchen when I noticed a man with a gun. I ran into the kitchen and called the police. The restaurant owner came into the kitchen, too, and told me to hang up the phone just in time - another robber was coming in with him. They told me to call the chain owner to get the combination number, and thankfully forgot to follow that up. By now some of the customers had mastered most of the gunmen, and the situation started to look a little better.
Next, I was a waitress in my restaurant, trying to "be professional" and carrying myself with perfect posture. I was going to the kitchen when I noticed a man with a gun. I ran into the kitchen and called the police. The restaurant owner came into the kitchen, too, and told me to hang up the phone just in time - another robber was coming in with him. They told me to call the chain owner to get the combination number, and thankfully forgot to follow that up. By now some of the customers had mastered most of the gunmen, and the situation started to look a little better.


4 Comments:
As a professional waitress, you should have attacked the robbers, taken their guns and done misc. martial arts on them. That's what a "professional" would do.
Oh. Yes, of course! I should have taken the time at the beginning of the exercise to foresee a hold-up, and providentially designate "martial arts" as a central part of the physicality of my character. Then I would have had no trouble analyzing the appropriate emotion for the hold-up as "elation, pride" and transitioning into some karate moves to get myself into the correct emotion. Thanks, Andrew: I will never again display such an amazing lack of appropriate initial character development combined with a failure to analyze a situation for the most likely emotion.
wow. crazy comments.
but as for the actual post: yes. basic acting was mad fun yesterday. i think i did most of it wrong, but it was mad fun anyway. and highlighted the difficulty...blah blah blah...yes. in conclusion: acting rocks my face off right through my fingernails. i was considering posting about it, actually, but i'll just leave this comment instead. huzzah.
Whoah.... freaky blog template change! Ah well, a little change every now and then is healthy, right? = )
Post a Comment
<< Home